Skip to main content

Saraki: SP takes shots at Jonathan, says GEJ wasn't a great leader [VIDEO]

Former President Goodluck Jonathan and Senator Bukola Saraki

"I told Jonathan about subsidy scam but he only said: 'Saraki, you know this oil business is very oily.'"

Senate President Bukola Saraki has berated former President Goodluck Jonathan’s leadership style.

Speaking at the launch of Bolaji Abdullahi’s book “On a Platter of Gold – How Jonathan Won and Lost Nigeria”, in Abuja on Thursday, November 30, 2017, Saraki said Jonathan was not prepared for leadership either was he desperate for power.

Recounting his moments with the former Nigerian president, Saraki noted that Jonathan’s failure to take critical decisions at the right time contributed to his failure as a leader.

“I like to share one or two things that will probably summarize the former President Jonathan," Saraki began his semi-scripted speech.

“I remember when I was then Senator and I came across this issue of fuel subsidy and the way the country was losing close to about N1.3 trillion. In the history of this country, I don’t think of any singular kind of level of corruption as huge as that. I had a motion already I wanted to present on the floor of the Senate.

 

“I felt as a member of the ruling party at that time, it was only proper I discussed it with the President first, maybe some action could be taken so that I would step down the motion.

“I booked an appointment to see Mr. President. I went with my paper. I started with the background of how people bring in petroleum products. I said ‘Mr. President, in the past people used to get award letters from NNPC to bring in PMS, DPK, and make 10, 20 per cent profit.

“I said Sir, they’ve taken it to another level now. They get an order to bring in products, they don’t want to make 10, 20 per cent anymore.

“They will get an offer to bring in a cargo of 20,000 litres; they will bring in 5,000 to be stamped for 20,000 and instead of making 10 per cent, they make ten times the amount.

“I was telling the President, thinking the President would get very agitated. But said: ‘Senator Saraki, you know this oil business is very oily.’

“I was stunned and taken aback! But in a way, that was Jonathan. In a sad way, that was who he is,” he said.

 

ALSO READ: To hell with restructuring, says Borno governor

Saraki sighted another example of his encounter with Jonathan when he informed the former president to contest his seat in the 2015 presidential election.

Here’s what Saraki said: “And if you look at the second encounter I will recollect, it was the day I decided I was going to contest to be President. I felt that I didn’t want Jonathan to hear it as news, I booked an appointment to go and see him.

“I didn’t know what I was thinking that day. I went to the Villa. He said: ‘Come in, come in, how can I help you?’

“I looked at the President of a third world country and said ‘Mr. President, I came to tell you that I am going to be contesting for your seat.’

“Jonathan looked at me and said: ‘Okay, good luck, good luck.' If it were any other person, maybe I would not have left the Villa! But that again sums up Goodluck Jonathan.

“I think it is us Nigerians that produce the kind of leaders we get. No matter what you say about him, I don’t think he was someone who was desperate for power.

“He was not someone that was prepared for leadership. Yes, by misfortune or fortune I keep on saying, we all know the right things but we don’t do it, we find ourselves sometimes blaming individuals, blaming others than ourselves,” the Senate president said.

The Senate president blamed Nigerians for the kind of leaders elected to spearhead the affairs of the country.

“I think it is us (Nigerians) that produce the kind of leaders we get. No matter what you say about him, I don’t think he (Goodluck Jonathan) was someone who was desperate for power.

“He was not someone that was prepared for leadership. Yes, by misfortune or fortune I keep on saying, we all know the right things but we don’t do it. We find ourselves sometimes blaming individuals, blaming others than ourselves,” he added.

Author of the book, Abdullahi served as minister of youths and sport in the Jonathan administration before his sack in 2014.

Abdullahi current serves as the publicity secretary of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

ridoola.blogspot.com.ng

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EFCC insists on presentation of Grace Tiaga's death certificate in P&ID case

Tiaga's counsel communicated the unavailability of the death certificate, requesting additional time. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is steadfast in its demand for the death certificate of the late Grace Tiaga, a former director of legal services at the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, to be submitted in court. Tiaga faced charges brought by the EFCC, alleging her involvement in receiving payments from Process & Industrial Development (P&ID) to manipulate the 20-year gas supply and processing agreement (GSPA) against Nigeria. The EFCC claims that these illicit payments were made through her daughter and persisted even after her retirement. The accusations extend to Tiaga's purported failure to adhere to due process while providing legal counsel on the GSPA. Initially facing eight counts of fraud, she was remanded to Suleja prison in 2019, later granted bail, and the charges were expanded to 13 counts. As the trial progressed, the prosecution p

Buhari may attend Nigeria’s Super Eagles clash with Black Stars of Ghana

The minister said Buhari asked him why he didn't go to Ghana to watch the first leg of the playoff. Sunday Dare, Nigeria’s Minister of Youth and Sports Development, has disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari may attend the 2022 World Cup Qualifier playoff between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Black Star of Ghana today. The crucial match will kick off at 6:00 pm Nigerian time. Dare said this president may possibly show up at the Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja to drum support for the Super Eagles against Ghana’s Black Stars. “I was in Lagos on Tuesday, March 22, and the President asked me why was I not in Ghana and I realized that the President also knows that there is a Ghana match,” the minister was quoted to have said. Dare said the president has not given him 100 percent assurance that he would attend the second leg but he is “ likely going to show up here on the 29th as a surprise.” Meanwhile, the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development and the Nigeria Footba

Include us on NIDCOM board, Nigerians in Diaspora tells Buhari

Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO) on Monday called on President Muhammadu Buhari to include its representatives on the board of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) in accordance with the act establishing the commission. The Chairman of NIDO Europe, Dr Bashir Obasekola, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone from Moscow, Russia. Obasekola said that the inclusion of NIDO representatives on NIDCOM’s Board of Trustees would ensure effectiveness and efficiency of the commission and lessen financial burden on the Federal Government. “It is stated in the NIDCOM Act, that NIDO is expected to be the operational outlet outside Nigeria. “We expect that the earlier we came in to be part of strategies and policies, the better for us all. “Such a strategic partnership would strengthen NIDO and place it in a better position to carry out its role as the umbrella organization for the Nigerians in Diaspora. “It will also boost our membership